Attached is an article on resilience for pilots that I wrote that was published by the Royal Aeronautical Society in 2015. All aspects of this report remain current today.
This report predates (but incorporates many features in) FLY! – the Elements of Resilience. After this report was written, I received the honour to present to the International Civil Aviation Organization at its headquarter in Montreal in January 2016.
Read this article if you have an interest in:
- Accident rates (historic and forecast)
- Automation (too much)
- Black Swan events
- Comments by Commander Jim Lovell (Commander of Apollo 13) & Captain Sully Sullenberger
- Experience is no defence!
- Expertice (10,000 hours? Mozart, Beatles, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Neil Armstrong)
- Hands-on flying times (decline)
- Legacy vs Contemporary pilot flying skills
- Pilots hands-on flying skills
- Simulators (personal and corporate)
- Skills fade
- Stress-Proof Deliberate Practice